A Bicycle Committee is a critical component of a successful Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC) and can play an important role in helping local officials create, implement, and prioritize bicycle programs, facilities, and policies.
Major Roles a BAC plays in assisting local officials:
1. To provide a consensus building approach to public input on bicycle related programs, policies
2. To act as a review panel on bicycle-related proposals
3. To perform a watchdog role on project and policy implementation.
4. To help local officials create, implement and prioritize bicycle programs, facilities and policies.
A BAC mission statement could include promoting safe bicycling by
1. Promoting events for all skill levels and age groups
2. Providing education on bicycle issues, safe bicycling, rules of the road, and emergency bicycle repairs.
3. Advocating on behalf of bicycling government actions, private developments and community events
4. Promoting full knowledge and equal enforcement of the rules of the road as they apply to bicycles, pedestrians, and automobiles.
5. Identifying and promoting needed bicycle facilities, routes, lanes and elimination of dangerous areas.
6. Informing the community about the benefits of bicycling to the environment, public health, local economy, tourist industry and reduction of traffic congestion.
7. Working with Town officials to develop a master bicycle plan
8. Promote secure bike parking
Massachusetts Bicycle Laws