The Trap Shed Program
In 2007, the Public Pier Corporation instituted the MacMillan Pier Trap Shed Program. The PPPC erected four trap sheds at the entrance to the MacMillan Pier and allows artists to rent these as studio space.This Program specifically addresses the needs of emerging artists in the arts and crafts community. It gives artists a central, highly visible location in which to work and exhibit and has grown more popular with each successive year.
The PPPC begins accepting proposals from Outer Cape arts and crafts people seeking studio space on the Pier after Labor Day each year.
Three trap sheds are available for seasonal rental. Each measures 20’ by 10’ and comprises two 10’ by 10’ rental spaces. One space can accommodate either an individual or a group, however a group may also propose renting an entire shed. Electricity is provided. Phone hookups are available. There is no running water, insulation, or heat. If demand for the spaces exceeds supply, the PPPC may consider building additional units.
The criteria for submission are:
- Proposals and samples of work must be returned in a sealed envelope marked “Trap Shed Tenant Proposal” to the PPPC, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown, MA 02657 no later than October 31st of the current year;
- Proposals can be made by a group or an individual. The applicant must be prepared to keep the studio open at a minimum of seven days a week from June 15th through the Labor Day weekend. The proposal must specify what hours the trap shed will be open;
- Selection will be made by the PPPC Trap Shed Sub-Committee:
- Each of the trap shed spaces is issued a seasonal lease. The rate for each space is determined annually;
- Preference is give to emerging arts and crafts applicants that will perform their art or craft on-site during the hours of operation. All arts and crafts must be locally produced;
- Subject matter must be related to maritime themes or history or pertain to the cultural or marine heritage of the Town of Provincetown; and
- Applicants who are selected must agree to terms of the lease and participate in the seasonal evaluation of the program.
One trap shed is available for weekly rental. There are off-season, shoulder season and in-season rental availability. The in-season rates are in effect from the last weekend in June through the second weekend in September. The shoulder season rates are in effect from the beginning of May until the last weekend in June and from the second weekend in September until the end of October. Off-season rates are in effect at all other times throughout the year. The above-listed criteria for proposals apply for these spaces.
Application forms and additional rental information may be obtained at the Harbormaster’s Office on MacMillan Pier, by calling 508-487-7030 or via e-mail at . Applications can also be found under Applications & Forms