Landlords & Renters Information
The Provincetown Board of Health has adopted new public health and safety regulations pertaining to the renting of property for habitation, Board of Health Regulation, Habitations for Rent. This new regulation applies to all forms of rental property including weekly, seasonal, and year round.
If you are renting property, you are required to obtain a Renter's Certificate.
Applications are available here or may be picked up in the Department of Community Development at Town Hall. Our normal business hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
ORIGINAL SIGNATURE ON APPLICATION REQUIRED
DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL
Applications may be dropped off at the Licensing Department:
260 Commercial Street
or Mail to:
Licensing Dept, 260 Commercial St. Provincetown, MA 02657
To schedule an inspection, please contact:
Aaron Hobart, Licensing Agent 508-487-7000 ext. 535
Rental Inspection Check List:
This is a brief list of what the Inspection Team will be looking for when a Rental Certification Inspection takes place.
1. Certificate to Rent and Map of the Transfer Station MUST be posted in a conspicuous location
2. Street number on building and individual units
3. Electrical panel/circuit breaker labeled.
4. CO Detector (where applicable) - one per floor (plug-in with battery back-up is acceptable).
5. Smoke detectors in each bedroom and on each floor.
6. Clear egresses.
7. Fully charged functioning fire extinguisher mounted on a wall and no more than 5 feet above the floor in every kitchen.
8. Working emergency lights (if applicable).
9. Maximum occupancy for each unit.
10. Sanitation overview; overall cleanliness and provisions for trash removal and recycling.
11. Septic system review.
For a more details regarding Inspection requirements, please call, or email:
Laura Marin, Health Inspector 508-487-7000 ext. 537
Map & Location of the Transfer Station:
PROVINCETOWN TRANSFER STATION
90 Race Point Road
HOURS: From May 1st thru end of October: 7 days per week 6:00 am to 1:00 pm
From Nov 1st thru end of April: Tuesday thru Saturday 6:00 am to 1:00 pm
Links to other relevant Town Regulations:
General Bylaws - Chapter 13-PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES
13-1. Prohibited use of private property
13-2. Prohibited conduct
13-2-7. Dog Regulations
13-3. Prohibited use of motor vehicles
13-4. Prohibited use of waterfront and harbor
Board of Health Regulations - Part VI
Article 3- Sanitation Collection & Disposal
Article 4- Rules & Regulations for the Use of the Transfer Station
Article 7- Waste Recycling Regulations
Article 8- Nuisance Regulations
Part XIV-Article 1- Habitations For Rent
For more information contact:
Office of the Licensing, Town of Provincetown, 260 Commercial Street, Provincetown, MA 02657 (508) 487-7013.