Jan. 4th Storm Damage Reporting
Was your Property Damaged during the January 4th Storm?
1. Damage Reporting for Potential FEMA Public Assistance
As a result of the January 4, 2018 Severe Winter Storm, the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) is conducting an Initial Damage Assessment (IDA) to determine eligibility for Federal disaster aid under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance (PA) program and Individuals and Housing Assistance (IHP) Program, as well as the Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loan program. Under these programs, disaster assistance may be available only if the Commonwealth and each affected county meets certain cost and damage thresholds. To determine if these thresholds have been met, MEMA will use the IDA process to collect and consolidate high-level cost and damage estimates.
- Under the IHP Program, MEMA will collect information on the numbers of uninsured or underinsured homes (primary residences) and businesses that received major damage or were destroyed.
- Under the SBA Disaster Loan program, MEMA will collect estimates of the number of home owners, renters, and businesses that sustained uninsured losses of at least 40% of the fair market value, or replacement cost (whichever is less) of damaged buildings and contents.
By requesting this information, MEMA is taking the first step in the damage assessment process and is not stating or guaranteeing that federal disaster assistance will be provided.
Damaged Homes, Businesses and other Structures (to determine eligibility for the IHP Program and/or a SBA Disaster Declaration) MEMA is looking to:
- Identify home owners, renters, and businesses that suffered uninsured losses of 40% or more of the fair market value, or replacement cost (whichever is less) of the damaged home, business or other structure, or of its contents
- Identify Information on each damaged property:
- Address (street name) of damaged property
- Type of residence (single family or multi-family) or business
- Location and type of damage
- Whether property is insured (if known). Please note: only uninsured losses of 40% or greater are considered eligible under the SBA Program.
- Any special considerations such as impacts to elderly or other vulnerable populations
The form is due by close of business Monday, January 22, 2018
Online Initial Damage Assessment (IDA) Form
*Information based on available estimates, please retain all receipts for future reporting.
Storm Assistance for Heating Systems from the Cape Light Compact
2.Flood Damage Waste Collection Program
If you received flood damage during the January 4, 2018 storm and as a result need waste collection for items specifically from water damage, then the Town will make arrangements to pick-up and dispose of your waste. To qualify you must complete the online Initial Damage Assessment (IDA) Form and in addition report your pickup items directly to Sherry Prada, DPW Operations Director at via email.
Starting Wednesday January 17th and lasting through February 2nd, DPW will pick up solid waste in the Flood impacted area of Town in accordance with the following requirements:
- DPW will pick up all normally accepted curbside solid waste, plus any furniture, mattresses or home goods damaged by the storm.
- No hazardous materials will be accepted, including items such as air conditioners or refrigerators.
- DPW pick up will be during normal business hours.
- You must be in a flooded area, and you must call the DPW to arrange pick up. All material must be brought to the curbside.
- For hazardous materials, people are encouraged to call the DPW or visit the DEP website to learn what are the proper and available methods for disposal.
3.Flood Mitigation Workshop for Property Owners
The Town is authorized to retain an Emergency Management / Response Consultant to provide flood and damage mitigation workshops for Property Owners and Business Owners. We are currently working to schedule these sessions in Provincetown over the course of the next several weeks. Please watch for a further announcement for the time and date of these workshops.